- Parks, Trails, & Recreation
- Medley Park Community Garden
Medley Park Community Garden
The Medley Park Community Garden is an ADA-accessible garden with 40 raised garden containers measuring 4’ x 12’, surrounded by a 10-foot-high fence. All registered gardeners will have access to a shared tooled shed, planting tables, carts, and water. Container soil and plant/weed compost bins are also provided. The 2023 season will run mid-May-Oct 23 (weather dependent).
A lottery system will be used to randomly draw names for the 40 containers (one container per household). Garden containers will not be held year to year. A lottery will be held each year.
Fees: $35 per container for Golden Valley residents, and $50 per container for non-residents (if registration allows).
- Jan 9, 8:30 am | Lottery registration begins for residents (in-person and online).
- Jan 23, 11:59 pm | Lottery registration closes for residents.
- Jan 25 | Random draw for containers. Those drawn will be notified by email and will have seven days to pay the fee and sign the use agreement.
- Feb 6, 8:30 am | Registration begins for non-residents. (canceled due to lack of plot availability)
- Feb 13, 11:59 pm | Registration closes for non-residents (if it opens).
- April 17 | No refunds given after this date.
- May 2, 5:30–7 pm | Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- Mid-May | Gardens open (weather permitting).
- June 15 | Gardens must be planted; any unplanted gardens will be offered to gardeners on the waitlist.
- October 23 | End of 2023 season (weather-dependent). Garden containers must be cleared of all plants, weeds, and structures.
From Jan 9–23, Golden Valley residents will be able to submit their names to the lottery. This can be done online (using code Y3600A), by phone, by email, or in-person at Brookview Guest Services. A name, address, email, and telephone number are required to enter the lottery. During this time the lottery is only open for Golden Valley residents. A non-resident lottery will open Feb 6 if containers are available.
A random draw will be conducted January 25. Those selected will be notified by email and will have seven days to review and commit to the Medley Park Community Garden Use Guidelines and submit payment.
Once payment and Medley Park Community Garden Use Guidelines are committed to, a person becomes a Registered Gardener. Emails will be used to communicate out details leading up to and during the season.
The City first floated ideas for a community garden in 2019 as part of a park improvement project. Rather than removing Medley Park's failing tennis courts, the City developed a concept to build 40 raised garden beds on the court surface. Existing fencing would provide a secure site, and water bibs, a compost bin, a tool shed, and planting tables would round out the project.
Construction began in fall 2021 and will continue through December 2022.
Work on the tool shed was completed in summer 2022, thanks to the efforts of community volunteers and partners.
The Medley Park Community Garden will open in May 2023 for the first round of gardeners in the garden’s history. A ribbon cutting ceremony is planned for May 2, 5:30 PM and is open to public.
Container Gardening 101 | Register Here
Thu, Mar 9
6:30–7:30 pm | Brookview Bassett Creek Room
Register by Fri, Mar 3
Learn the successful techniques of outdoor container gardening from a master gardener. All abilities welcome.
Sponsored and presented by the Golden Valley Garden Club. Registration required.
FAQs coming soon.
For questions, please contact Recreation Coordinator Maddy Champa at 763-512-2341 or email@example.com.