Building/Remodeling Permit Applications & Forms
Building Permits (apply online through City's ePermits system) are required for a number of home building, remodeling, or repair projects.
For remodeling, alterations, or repairs, the City requires plans showing dimensions of areas included in project (scale: 1/4 inch = 1 foot).
For new construction or additions, the City requires:
- plans showing window sizes, room sizes, ceiling heights, doors, exits, and stairways (1/4 inch = 1 foot)
- survey certificate signed by a Minnesota licensed surveyor (building must be shown on survey)
Some projects require permits for tree preservation and/or stormwater management. You must obtain those permits before the City will issue a Building Permit.
- Residential Insulation
- Residential Interior Demo
- Residential ReRoof/TearOff | Informational Handout (PDF)
- Residential ReRoof/TearOff - Detached Garage Only
- Residential Reside
- Residential Stucco
- Residential Window/Door Replacement (same size)
- Commercial Addition | Project Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Antenna/Tower
- Commercial Footing/Foundation
- Commercial Interior Demo
- Commercial New | Project Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Parking Ramp/Garage
- Commercial Remodel/Tenant Finish
- Commercial Reroof/Flat Roof | Project Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Retaining Wall
(Retaining walls higher than 48 inches in height-–measured from bottom of footing to top of wall-–also require a Stormwater Management Permit.)
- Commercial Solar
- Commercial Trailer/Temp Office
- Commercial Trash Enclosure
- Commercial Windows/Doors
- Demolition of Structure | Permit Requirements (PDF), Requirements For Leaving A Well (PDF), MPCA Forms/Handouts (PDF)
- Residential - Drain Tile
- Residential Addition | Informational Handout (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Basement Finish
- Residential Deck | Informational Handout (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF) / Porch | Informational Handout (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Detached Garage/Accessory Structure | Informational Handout (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF) (Greater than 200 square feet)
- Residential Garage/Garage Addition | Informational Handout (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF)
- Residential In-ground Swimming Pool | Informational Handout (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF) (Also requires a Stormwater Management Permit (PDF)).
- Residential New Home
- Residential Remodel (Plumbing and mechanical permits may also be required.)
- Residential ReRoof/TearOff Flat Roof
- Residential Retaining Wall
Retaining walls higher than 48 inches in height-–measured from bottom of footing to top of wall-–also require a Stormwater Management Permit.
- Residential Solar
- Residential Stoop
- Residential Window | Egress Window Informational Handout (PDF) (New size or new egress)
- SAC fees - Commercial
Electrical permits cover the installation of electrical wiring. Inspections are done through the City's electrical inspector. To make an appointment, call 763-390-9255 between 7–8:30 am, Monday through Friday.
- Commercial Electrical (by item)
- Commercial Electrical (per trip)
- Residential Electrical (New Home/Residential Max)
- Residential Electric (per trip)
- Residential Electrical (by item)
Mechanical permits cover installation, repair, or remodeling of fireplaces, heating systems, and air conditioners.
- Commercial HVAC
- Mechanical - Bath Fan
- Mechanical - Fireplace | Informational Handout (PDF)
- Mechanical - Replace Furnace and/or AC | Project Checklist (PDF), Project Requirements (PDF), ORSAT Test Form (PDF), Zoning Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Mechanical
- Mechanical - Plan Review Required
- Commercial HVAC - Plan Review Required
Plumbing permits cover installation or replacement of plumbing for toilets, bathtubs, sinks, floor drains, water heaters, showers, garbage disposals, backflow preventers for underground sprinkler systems, and dishwashers.
- Backflow Preventer Test Form (PDF)
- Plumbing - RPZ or PVB
- Plumbing - 5/8" x 3/4" Domestic Meter
- Plumbing - Water Heater | Informational Handout (PDF) or Softener
- Plumbing - Commercial
- Plumbing - Dishwasher
- Plumbing - Residential
- Standard Details
- Plumbing with Plan Submittal
Sewer or water permits are required if you hire a plumber to make connections to the City's sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water main, or any repairs to your sanitary service.
- Sewer (Point of Sale/I & I or PMP)
- Standard Details