Peddlers & Solicitors License
City Code Section 16-336 requires that anyone going door-to-door in Golden Valley to fundraise or sell a product or service must carry a City-issued license on them at all times and wear a City-issued ID card (see below).
Those going door-to-door to distribute literature but who aren’t selling anything, asking for donations, or engaging the homeowner in conversation, do not need a license but must still abide by City rules and regulations for other peddlers and solicitors.
ID cards issued by the City must be clearly displayed on a front outer garment.
The ID cards include the solicitor's name, organization/company, and photo as well as dates the permit is valid.
If the solicitor is not wearing an ID card, ask to see it. If no card can be produced, call 911 to report an unlicensed solicitor and provide your address so police can follow up.
Property owners or occupants who wish to exclude peddlers and/or solicitors from their premises may place a "No Soliciting or Peddling" or similar sign on or near the principal entrance to the premises. The printing on the sign should be large enough to be visible from a distance of 5 feet.
Peddlers or solicitors are not allowed to enter a property with a posted "No Solicitation" (PDF) or similar sign. Call 911 to report violators.
Obtaining A License
Anyone in Golden Valley planning to go door-to-door to fundraise or sell a product or service must first apply for a peddlers and solicitors license (City Code Section 16-336). Peddlers and solicitors must wear a City-issued ID card and have the license on them at all times.
Those who go door-to-door to distribute literature but who aren’t selling anything, asking for donations, or engaging the homeowner in conversation, do not need a license.
- Permits are issued per individual, not per business and/or organization.
- ID cards issued by the City must be clearly displayed on a front outer garment.
- Peddling or soliciting may not occur before 9 am or after 8 pm.
- Peddlers and solicitors may only approach the front door or main entrance of residence or place of business and must abide by posted "No Soliciting" signs.
- Peddlers and solicitors must promptly leave the premises following completion of a transaction or an unsuccessful attempt to contact the resident of the premises.
- Peddlers and solicitors may not claim that their license or certificate of registration constitutes an endorsement by the City.
Licenses are not required for:
- anyone selling goods at wholesale to a retail seller of the items being sold by the wholesaler
- anyone selling products of a farm or garden occupied and cultivated by the seller
- anyone working to establish a regular customer delivery route for perishable food and dairy products, such as baked goods or milk
- anyone delivering newspapers or similar publications on an established customer delivery route
- anyone age 17 and under participating in fundraising programs for, or sponsored by, a public or private elementary, junior high, high school, or bona fide children's organization (ie,scouting, youth sports, arts, or similar extracurricular activities)
- $30 per permit per 30-day calendar period. Make check payable to the City of Golden Valley. Payment must be submitted at the time of application.
- Complete the Peddler & Solicitor License Application (PDF)
- Fill out one application form (PDF) per person. Do not leave any lines blank. If a question does not apply, enter “N/A”.
- All applicants must have a current government issued identification card or driver’s license.
- Applications must be signed in front of Police Department personnel receiving the application.
- By signing the application, you are agreeing to have a background check completed.
- The application will be denied if it contains any falsification of answers or if it's not completed in its entirety.
- Applicant must be photographed by Police Department personnel at the time the application is submitted.
- Bring application and fee to the Police Department Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.
The City does not recommend or endorse any product or service of peddlers or solicitors it licenses.