- Department Directory
- Human Resources
- City Jobs
- Data Practices Advisory
Data Practices Advisory
Minnesota Government Data Practices Act
The Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (Minnesota Statutes 13.01 to 13.90) has two sections that affect applicants seeking employment with the City of Golden Valley. First, under “Rights of Subjects of Data” (MN 13.04), when an applicant is asked to provide personal data, the City must advise you of:
- The purpose and intended use of the data
- Whether you may refuse or are legally required to supply the requested data
- Any known consequence arising from your supplying or refusing to supply the data
- The identity of other persons or organizations authorized by State or Federal Law to receive the data you provide.
Second, under “Personnel Data” (MN Statute 13.43), the following data about an applicant for employment by a public agency is automatically public:
- Veteran’s status
- Job history
- Education and training
- Relevant test scores
- Rank on our eligibility list
- Work availability
Notice Regarding Public Data
As an applicant, your name is considered private until you are certified as eligible for appointment to a position or are considered by the appointing authority to be a finalist for a position in public employment. If you are hired, the following additional data about you will be public:
- Your name
- Your actual gross salary, contract fees, salary range, and actual gross pension
- The value and nature of employer paid benefits
- The basis for and the amount of any added remuneration, including expense reimbursement, in addition to your salary
- Your job title and job description
- Your first and last employment dates with us
- The status of any complaints or charges against you while you work for the City of Golden Valley, whether or not they resulted in disciplinary action, the final disposition of any disciplinary action and supporting documentation
- Your work location and work telephone number
- Your education and training background
- Honors and awards you have received
- Payroll time sheets or other comparable data that are only used to account for your work time for payroll purposes: except to the extent that release of time sheet date would reveal employee’s reasons for the use of sick or other medical leave or other non-public data
- Your previous work experience
- Your badge number
This data is private if the candidate is applying for or is hired for an undercover law enforcement position.
All data concerning you which is placed in your personnel file and which is not listed above is private data. This private data will be available to you and to members of City staff needing it to process City records. In addition, the following persons or organizations are authorized by State and Federal Law to receive this data if they so request in certain circumstances:
- The Bureau of Census
- Federal, State and County Auditors
- The State Department of Public Welfare
- The Department of Human Rights
- Federal Officials investigating compliance of Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunities
- Labor Organizations and the Bureau of Mediation Services
- Data may also be made available through court order.
With the exception of the optional data requested, the data you provide is needed to identify you and to assist in determining your suitability for the position for which you are applying. The optional data is used in summary form to monitor protected class employment and meet Federal, State, and local reporting requirements. Furnishing the optional data requested about yourself is voluntary.
Notice Regarding Social Security Numbers
If you are hired, this information will be collected and used for payroll taxes, insurance purposes, and kept in the employee's data record.
Notice To Minors
Minors from whom private or confidential data is collected have the right to request that parental access to the private data be denied.
If you have questions regarding your rights as a subject of data, please contact the City of Golden Valley Human Resources Department at:
7800 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55427
This information is subject to change consistent with subsequent amendments to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act.