Police Services

Animal Control

Business Emergency Contact Information

Community Health Officer

+ Fingerprinting

The Golden Valley Police Department offers electronic fingerprint to those who live or work in the city. Fingerprinting is available by appointment only.

The cost for fingerprint is $10 if you live in the City or $25 if you work in the city for the first card, $5 for each additional card. Payment is by cash or check only.

To schedule an appointment, please call 763-593-8079. Please note that fingerprinting is done in our booking facility and in the event that a booking is taking place, appointments may need to be rescheduled.

+ Home Security Checklist

In most cases, residential burglary is a crime of opportunity committed by young amateurs that are able to enter your home. You can eliminate the opportunity and minimize the chance of burglary and other serious crimes by making your home as difficult as possible to enter. The following steps will help.

  • Iilluminated home with exterior lights .
  • Trim shrubbery so a burglar can't hide near windows and doors.
  • Make sure garage doors are closed and locked when not in use.
  • Make sure exterior doors are made of solid hardwood or insulated steel.
  • Pin or secure sliding glass doors and windows with auxiliary locks.
  • Install deadbolt locks with a minimum of one-inch throw on exterior doors.
  • Mount heavy-duty strike plates on exterior door frames.
  • Secure windows with auxiliary locks or pin them with with a nail.
  • Report suspicious persons or activity to the police immediately.
  • Lock doors at all times.
  • Do not leave garage door openers in cars in the driveway.
  • Make sure a burglar cannot see into your garage.
  • Join your neighborhood Neighborhood Watch group.

+ Medicine Disposal

Safely dispose of unused medicines in the green drop box in the Golden Valley Police Department lobby at 7700 Golden Valley Rd. Proper disposal of medicines helps prevent abuse and poisoning and protects the environment.

Golden Valley's medicine drop box is one of nine in Hennepin County's recycling program. It will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and it will remain under constant surveillance.

Medicines accepted will include prescription medicines, controlled substances, over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and supplements, and pet medicines. No syringes, sharps, or other medical waste will be accepted.

Get details about Hennepin County's program and other drop box locations here.

+ Street Closures

If you would like to close your street for a block party, please complete a petition that includes:

  • location of the street to be barricaded
  • the time and date of the proposed closing
  • the names and addresses of all residences along the street proposed for closing
  • a section where residents can sign to indicate approval of the street closing
  • the name and address of a responsible person to whom inquiries can be directed

If 100% of residents along the street sign the petition, it will be forwarded to the Chief of Police, who has the authority to order the street closed and barricaded for the time listed on the petition.

Petitions containing less than 100% of the necessary signatures will be placed on the next City Council agenda for review and approval.

Upon approval of the petition, the Police Department will notify City Public Works staff to deliver street barricades the last working day before the street closing. Barricades will be left with the responsible person listed on the petition, and that person is in charge of placing and removing the barricades. City crews will pick up the barricades on the nearest work day following the street closing.

+ Tours

Tours of the Police Department are available for groups (Scouts, after-school and pre-school programs, Neighborhood Watch, etc). Please try to schedule your tour at least two to three weeks in advance.

To schedule a tour, call 763-512-2502.

+ Trespass Notice

Individuals, businesses, and organizations may issue a demand to another person requiring that person to immediately leave the property. If a trespass demand is issued, the individual, business, or organization issuing the demand should complete a Trespass Notice.

The Trespass Notice states in writing that the trespasser is not permitted to return to the premises or property for one year, and states that a violation of the Trespass Notice may result in criminal liability and penalties under Minn. Stat. 609.605.

One copy of the Trespass Notice should be served on the trespasser and one copy should be retained by the issuing individual, business, or organization.

Vacation Home Check

+ Working Out Problems With Neighbors

In neighbor relations, there are generally two dissatisfactions:

  • safety or health issues
  • individual taste issues

Golden Valley has ordinances to protect overall community safety and health, and property maintenance issues, but when it comes to matters of taste, neighbors sometimes just have to work through it together.

Discussing an issue directly with your neighbor before calling the City not only cuts down on the number of complaints and grievances that turn into taxpayer burdens, it also goes a long way in making sure your neighborhood is safe, well-maintained, and quibble-free.

If you can’t reach an agreement, inform the City about your complaint or, for issues that aren't addressed in City ordinances, use a mediation service to resolve the matter. Community Mediation Services, Inc provides mediation services to residents, businesses, schools, and organizations in north and west Hennepin County. For more information, go to or www.communitymediations.org or call 763-561-0033.