Buying, Selling, or Renting Out Your Home

+ Before You Buy

Sold signHave the Property Inspected

Because the City of Golden Valley doesn't require point-of-sale inspections (with the exception of sanitary sewer service inspections), you may want to contract with a private home inspection service (check the Yellow Pages) before purchasing any Golden Valley home. Make sure the property has a Certificate of Sanitary Sewer Service Compliance from the City.

Check City Records on Allowable Additions/Remodeling

If you plan to remodel or build an addition, you must meet all City permit requirements. Check City files for an “as-built” survey (Inspections Department, 763-593-8090) or ask the property owner if such a survey exists. If the property does not meet existing setbacks from the property line, a variance may be needed to construct the proposed improvements. Check with the Planning Department (763-593-8095) for variance information.

Check City Code for Rental Restrictions

Before buying a house with rental possibilities, be sure to check all aspects of the City's zoning code. Some properties are marketed as duplexes or auxiliary rental units when they aren't, and residents who think they have a legal rental situation don't. Call Planning at 763-593-8095.

Check Home Occupation Restrictions

If you work out of your home or are considering it, check with the Planning Department (763-593-8095) for regulations.

Get Information on Crime Statistics

Look at recent crime maps for statistics on crime in the City and its specific neighborhoods.

Minnesota Home Ownership Center

The Minnesota Home Ownership Center has resources for home owners and buyers, including how to obtain advice if you are facing foreclosure.

+ After Moving In

boxesFile for Homestead Credit

As soon as possible after you move in, bring a copy of your Warranty Deed, Contract for Deed, Quit Claim Deed, or personal Representative Deed to General Services at City Hall to file for homestead. We will change the name of the owner on our records, and a homestead card will be mailed out in your name. This will assure you of the homestead classification on your real estate taxes. Call 763-593-8020 for more information.

Check Out Garbage & Recycling Services

Contact a licensed garbage hauler to arrange for garbage pick up. Find out more about the City's recycling program. If your home's previous owner did not leave recycling crates behind, call 952-941-5174 to have some delivered.

Update Utility Records

Call Utility Billing (763-593-8016) to make sure all account information for your address is accurate and updated. Contact private utility companies to set up electric, gas, telephone, or cable TV service.

Check Safety/Security Issues

Make sure your new home has functioning smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. Check the batteries in smoke detectors and replace them if they are old or weak. Test smoke detectors monthly, and formulate an escape plan from your home in case of a fire. Contact the Golden Valley Fire Department at 763-593-8065 for more information.

Take a look at the home security checklist, and join your Neighborhood Watch group.

Update Licenses

Residents who move from within the state have 30 days to update their driver's licenses. New Minnesota residents have 60 days to change their driver's licenses and vehicle license plates

The Golden Valley Motor Vehicle Licensing Department offers limited driver's license services, including duplicate licenses and change of name or address. It also offers a full array of other vehicle licensing services. To make sure you receive renewal notices at your new address, call the State (651-296-6911) with all license plate numbers.

Check the City's requirements for keeping pets.

Explore Local Recreation Opportunities

The City's Park & Recreation Department offers many fun things to do.

+ Selling & Moving Out

Point of Sale Inspectionmoving supplise

The City of Golden Valley City requires all properties to have a sanitary sewer inspection before they are advertised for sale. Property owners must obtain a Certificate of I/I Compliance from the City before selling or transferring title of property. Properties that don’t pass inspection will be issued a correction notice.

Please call the City at 763-593-8030 to verify that your property is in need of certification before beginning the I/I certification process.

Inspection Process

See I/I inspection process.


The application fee is $250 for residential properties and $750 (per building) for commercial or multi-unit buildings.

Why is this required?

The Point of Sale ordinance is intended to help reduce peak sanitary sewer flows caused by Inflow and Infiltration (I/I), or flow of clear water into the sanitary sewer system. The Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES), which provides regional wastewater collection and treatment for the metropolitan area, requires the City of Golden Valley to reduce peak flows to the regional wastewater collection system. These inspections allow the City to ensure that private properties have no illegal connections to the sanitary sewer system or pipe defects that contribute to excess peak flow discharges.

Final Meter Reading

Anywhere from four weeks to two days before closing, call the Utility Billing office at 763-593-8016 to schedule a final water meter reading and provide a forwarding address for your final bill.

Renting Out Your Home