In response to a recent increase of catalytic converter theft reports, the Golden Valley Police Department has a few reminders and tips for car owners and businesses who park vehicles in parking lots overnight.
Why Are Catalytic Converters In Such High Demand?
- Catalytic converters are targeted because most have no identifying numbers to track them, and the precious metals inside have recyclers paying between $800 to $1,200 per unit.
- Larger vehicles are targeted for their ease of access.
- Thieves can steal your catalytic converter in a matter of minutes.
Tips For Preventing Catalytic Converter Theft
- Install a catalytic converter anti-theft device.
- Install a car alarm.
- Install video surveillance outside your home.
- Engrave your VIN or license plate number into the converter.