Project Permit Applications, Forms, & Fees

We are experiencing some technical difficulties with our dropdowns. Please click on any title below to activate the dropdown. We apologize for any inconvenience.

+ Building Permit

Building permits are required for a number of home building, remodeling, or repair projects, including:

Read about the permit process for residential building permits.

Some projects require permits for tree preservation or stormwater management. You must obtain those permits before the City will issue a Building Permit.

For remodeling, alterations, or repairs, the City requires two sets of plans showing window sizes, room sizes, ceiling heights, doors, exits, and stairways (minimum scale: 1/4 inch = 1 foot).

For new construction or additions, the City requires:

  • two sets of plans showing window sizes, room sizes, ceiling heights, doors, exits, and stairways (minimum scale: 1/4 inch = 1 foot)
  • one surveyors certificate signed by a Minnesota licensed surveyor (building must be shown on survey)
  • exterior envelope calculations (forms available from Inspections Department)
  • roof truss design signed by a Minnesota engineer
  • soil test results

+ Electrical Permit

Electrical permits cover installation of electrical wiring. Inspections are done through the City's electrical inspector. To make an appointment, call 763-390-9255 between 7 - 8:30 am, Monday through Friday.

Homeowner's Request for Electrical Inspection

Contractor's Request for Electrical Inspection

+ e-Permit

Apply for and obtain the following permits online


  • Residential Insulation
  • Residential Reside
  • Residential Stucco
  • Residential Window/Door Replacement (same size)

Building - Plan Review Required

    • Commercial Addition
    • Commercial Antenna/Tower
    • Commercial Footing/Foundation
    • Commercial Interior Demo
    • Commercial New
    • Commercial Parking Ramp/Garage
    • Commercial Remodel/Tenant Finish
    • Commercial Reroof/Flat Roof
    • Commercial Retaining Wall
    • Commercial Solar
    • Commercial Trailer/Temp Office
    • Commercial Trash Enclosure
    • Commercial Windows/Doors
    • Demolition of Structure
    • Residential Window (new size or new egress)


    • Commercial Electrical (by item)
    • Commercial Electrical (per trip)
    • Residential Electric (per trip)
    • Residential Electrical (by item)


  • Alarm Daywork, Demo, and Emergency Work
  • Alarm Full Submittal
  • Hood and Duct Cleaning
  • Pre-engineering Systems
  • Sprinkler Full Submittal
  • Sprinkler Daywork, Demo, and Emergency Work
  • Tanks and Related Equipment
  • Temporary LP Tanks
  • Tents and Canopies

I & I Point of Sale

    • Commercial - Cerificate of Compliance Inspection
    • Commercial - Sump Pump Discharge
    • Residential - Certificate of Compliance Inspection
    • Residential - Sump Pump Discharge Inspection

Mechanical - Plan Review Required

    • Commercial HVAC - Plan Review Reuired


      • Plumbing
      • Plumbing - RPZ or PVB
      • Plumbing - Water Heater or Softener
      • Plumbing - Dishwasher

      Plumbing - Plan Review Required

+ Mechanical Permit

+ Plumbing Permit & Forms

Plumbing permits cover installation or replacement of plumbing for toilets, bathtubs, sinks, floor drains, water heaters, showers, garbage disposals, backflow preventers for underground sprinkler systems, and dishwashers.

If you are just replacing a water heater, you can apply online for your permit.

+ Sewer/Water Permits

Sewer or water permits are required if you hire a plumber to make connections to the City's sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water main, or any repairs to your sanitary service.

+ Solar Panel Permits

A Solar PV Permit Checklist must be completed for solar panels to be installed on residential properties.

For more information or questions, contact the City's Inspections Department at 763-593-8090.

+ ROW (Driveway, Curb Cut, or Boulevard) Permits

Right-of-Way (ROW) Permits are required for driveways (to dig holes, install, or restore ANY driveway within 15 feet of the street) and right-of-way work (to place fences, shrubs, trees, flower gardens, retaining walls, or lawn irrigation systems in the right-of-way between one's property and the street).

Homeowners and/or contractors are required to submit a scale drawing of the proposed project. After a staff review, the City will either issue a permit or deny the request.

For complete information, contact Public Works at 763-593-8030.

+ Stormwater Management Permit

Stormwater Management Permits are required for land-disturbing activities that remove soils or vegetation, including but not limited to clearing, digging, dredging, draining, or filling (see specifics below).

Return the completed Stormwater Management Permit application to:

Golden Valley Physical Development
7800 Golden Valley Rd
Golden Valley, MN 55427

Specific projects requiring a Stormwater Management Permit include:

  • activities that disturb more than 4,000 square feet of soils or vegetation
  • any activity that would involve construction, installation, demolition, modification or expansion of a building foundation wall
  • construction or demolition of a swimming pool
  • construction or demolition of a retaining wall of sufficient height to require a building permit
  • any land disturbing activities within City right-of-way that have a duration greater than 72 hours and which are not covered by a right-of-way excavation, utility, or plumbing permit
  • cutting, filling, disposal, hauling in, or storage of more than 30 cubic yards of soil
  • construction, reclamation, expansion, removal, or modification of a parking lot
  • construction, expansion, or modification of a stormwater quality treatment facility or stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs)
  • any land-disturbing activities within the 100-year floodplain or calculated high water level of any water body, or immediately adjacent to any wetland or public water body, including shoreline restoration and creek bank stabilization
  • those activities required to meet “Level 1 standards” and “Non-degradation standards” of the Bassett Creek Watershed Management Commission (BCWMC) as set forth in the current version of BCWMC’s Requirements for Improvements and Development Proposals as amended from time to time

Questions? Contact Public Works at 763-593-8030.

+ Tree & Landscape Permit

Tree and Landscape Permits are required for all new construction projects, for projects that increase the building footprint by 100 percent in single-family residential (R1 and R2) zoning districts, and for projects that increase impervious areas by 10 percent in all other zoning districts. Multi-lot or two-phase development projects may require additional permits. Note: It may take up to a minimum of 15 business days to review a complete application.

Return the completed Tree & Landscape Permit application to:

Golden Valley Physical Development
7800 Golden Valley Rd
Golden Valley, MN 55427

Questions? Contact the City at 763-593-8030.

Previously Issued Permits

To find permits issued from 1995 to present, go to the e-permits application page, click "Search for Permits," and fill in the house number and street address of the property.

Returning The Application

Unless otherwise noted, return completed application, any required documents or plans, and appropriate fee to:

City of Golden Valley Inspections Department
7800 Golden Valley Rd
Golden Valley, MN 55427

Apply Early

If you have a project planned, get your permit early. Waiting until the last minute will delay your project. Permit processing can take several weeks.