General Voting Information

We are experiencing some technical difficulties with our dropdowns. Pleace click on any title below to activate the dropdown. We apologize for any inconvenience.

+Precincts & Polling Sites

The City is divided into eight precincts and two school districts.

  • All precincts are in Congressional District 5.
  • Precincts 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 are in State Senate District 45 and State Legislative District 45B.
  • Precincts 3, 5, and 8 are in State Senate District 46 and State Legislative District 46A.
  • All precincts are in Hennepin County District 2.
  • Precincts 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 are in Robbinsdale School District 281
  • Precincts 2, 3, 5, and 8 are in Hopkins School District 270

Sample ballots for each precinct are available at the Minnesota Secretary of State Polling Place Locator.

+Precinct Locations

On Election Day, you must vote in your own precinct. Use the Minnesota Secretary of State Polling Place Locator or find your precinct location below.

  • Precinct 1 - NE Fire Station, 3700 Golden Valley Rd
  • Precinct 2 - Valley Presbyterian Church, 3100 North Lilac Dr
  • Precinct 3 - Meadowbrook School, 5430 Glenwood Ave
  • Precinct 4 - LOGIS, 5750 Duluth St
  • Precinct 5 - SE Fire Station, 400 Turners Crossroad S
  • Precinct 6 - Golden Valley City Hall, 7800 Golden Valley Rd
  • Precinct 7 - Sandburg Middle School, 2400 Sandburg Ln
  • Precinct 8 - Brookview, 316 Brookview Pkwy S

+Voting Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to vote in Minnesota, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old on election day
  • be a citizen of the United States
  • have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding election day
  • not be under a court-ordered guardianship in which the court order revokes the right to vote
  • have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
  • have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed

+Registering to Vote

Once you are registered to vote, you need not register again unless you move, change your name, or do not vote for four years (check your voter registration status).

Registering In Advance

You may register to vote at any time except for the 20 days preceding an election. You may register:

Registering On Election Day

If you did not register before Election Day, use any of the following proof of residence options to register at your polling place.

ID With Current Name and Address

Accepted IDs:

  • Valid Minnesota Driver’s license, Minnesota Learner’s permit Minnesota ID card, or receipt for any of these.
  • A Tribal ID card with name, address, photo, and signature

Photo ID Plus a Document With Current Name and Address

The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device (smartphone, etc).

  • Accepted photo IDs (choose one):
    • Driver’s license, state ID card, or learner’s permit issued by any state.
    • United States passport
    • United States Military ID card
    • Tribal ID card with the name, signature, and photo of voter
    • Minnesota university, college, or technical college ID card
    • Minnesota high school ID card
  • Accepted documents (choose one):
    • residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
    • current student fee statement
    • bill, account, or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
      • phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc)
      • TV (cable, satellite, etc)
      • Internet services
      • solid waste or sewer services
      • electric, gas or water
      • banking or credit card
      • rent or mortgage payment

Other Ways To Register On Election Day

  • If you received a Notice of Late Registration in the mail from Hennepin County, you can use this notice to register.
  • A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to vouch for your residency.
  • If you changed your name or moved within the same precinct, bring a valid registration with your former name or address.
  • If you live in a residential facility, a facility staff person can vouch for your residency with a signed oath.
  • A college student can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials.